Code of Ethics
Volunteers and Staff MUST:
Follow the principles of:
- Be aware of the networks and services provided by ROM.
- Maintain professional self-control at all times.
- Treat everyone with respect, loyalty, patience, integrity, courtesy, dignity, tact, sensitivity, humility and consideration.
- Assist in the creation of an environment free of fear, harassment, racism and exploitation.
- Respect the cultures, beliefs, opinions and decisions of others although you may not always agree.
- Take instruction from and not obstruct the Policies of ROM in any way in regards to the execution of your duties.
- Use positive reinforcement rather than criticism, competition or comparison when working with stakeholders, staff, clientele and customers.
- Understand that the choice of action remains up to the individual, unless the situation is life-threatening, or poses a serious risk of harm to self or others.
- Support fellow volunteers and share the load.
- Refuse to accept expensive gifts from stakeholders, staff, clientele or customers without prior written approval from ROM administrators or Executive level management.
- Refrain from giving expensive gifts to stakeholders, clientele or customers without prior written approval from ROM administrators, supervisors or Executive level management.
- Report suspected abuse to administrators or appropriate supervisor.
- Cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse of any nature.
- Respond with empathy, support and guidance when needed, suggesting options to help resolve issues.
- Report any illegal activity (eg. Underage drinking, violence, assault) to the relevant authorities.
Volunteers and Staff MUST not do:
- Pressure anyone into accepting your views or standards.
- Use, possess or be under the influence of alcohol at any time while conducting ROM activities.
- Use, possess or be under the influence of illegal drugs at any time.
- Pose any health risk to stakeholders, staff, clientele or customers.
- Strike, spank, shake or slap stakeholders, staff, clientele or customers.
- Humiliate, ridicule, threaten or degrade stakeholders, staff, clientele or customers.
- Interact in an inappropriate manner, or touch or sexually harass stakeholders, staff, clientele or customers.
- Use any discipline that frightens or humiliates staff, clientele or customers.
- Use profanity in the presence of stakeholders, staff, clientele or customers.
A volunteer or staff working with ROM clientele or customers can be subject to a thorough background check, including criminal history. Any action inconsistent with this Code of Conduct or failure to take action mandated by this Code of Ethics may result in removal and/or dismissal, as a volunteer or staff, from the Roots of Mankind Corporation.